The House

History

A history of Pinner Hill club house and Pinner Hill estate.- Now a thriving golf club!

It was the Griggs brothers* who were originally responsible for developing the Hill, acquiring Pinner Hill House and the surrounding land in 1919. The country house they purchased was somewhat of a mishmash of architectural styles; the culmination of a number of previous owners’ differing tastes and eras. The house as it stands today was built in the 1780s and added to in the first part of the nineteenth century and again in the 1860s, but a mansion has existed on this plot since at least the 1630s, when Sir Christopher Clitherow decided that he would like a country pile befitting his social rank of Lord Mayor of London and acquired a part of the 135 acre Pinner Wood, known as Spinnells.

Pinner Hill House, Three generations of the Clitherows lived at Pinner Hill. Sir Christopher, the first to live there was the son of a wealthy city merchant of the Iron Mongers Company. He was admitted to the East India Company in 1601 and became governor in 1638. Over a large number of years there have been many high profile people who have lived there including. 1658 Sir Bartholomew Shower, in 1755 it was purchased for Lady Jane Bridges by the Marquis of Caernarvon, a relative of the 1st Duke of Chandos. In 1801 Sir Albert Pell lived there followed by Arthur W Tooke in 1845 who built Woodhall Towers and Pinner Hill Farm & Clock Tower. It was one of the best society houses in Pinner, it is now home to Pinner Hill Golf Club.

Course Status
Currently open
04.10.2017 06:30
With the following restrictions: Preferred Lies
News
  • Fireworks Night
    newsthumbnail
  • PREFERRED LIES
    newsthumbnail
  • Celebrate Christmas in Style!
    newsthumbnail
  • Wedding Fair
    newsthumbnail
Calendar
Loading the Calendar...
Weather
  • 2017-10-17
  • 2017-10-18
  • 2017-10-19
  • 2017-10-20
  • 2017-10-21
Need to know more weather details? Click here to see the weather for the next 5 days.
Time
00:00